Current Professional Roles
Former Professional Roles
For over 20 years I’ve delivered complex, strategic transformation programmes and thrive on engaging with people to improve impactful services to citizens; especially where transformation is underpinned by digital, systems science and a shift in culture.
Over the same period, I’ve held leadership and Board roles in several local, national and international charities, and a large Academy, primarily focused on supporting young people to get the best start in life.
This broad ranging experience across the public, private and third sectors, across several industries and countries, combined with a fascination of the practical application of systems science, has given me a deep and unique understanding of how to design and operate organisations and services successfully; and how to use digital to enhance them.
I was awarded the honour of Officer of The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in His Majesty The King’s Birthday Honours 2023.
Professionally, having begun my career in 2001 supporting the digitisation of Health and Care organisations at local and national level within the NHS, I have worked with a wide range of organisations in the public, private and third sectors.
My delivery and leadership responsibilities have spanned the United Kingdom, United States, Scandinavia and the Middle East; in roles that have included Subject Matter Expert, Project Manager, Programme Manager, Portfolio Director, Principal Consultant, Strategy Director and Company Director. I’m driven by taking on impactful engagements which set out to make a real difference to the lives of citizens.
Although my experience is broad, I remain particularly passionate about the significant opportunity that exists to transform how Health and Care services support citizen wellbeing, through the delivery of high quality and cost-effective models of care, and the role of digital in enabling this transformation.
Today, I work with Boards, Executive Teams and Delivery Teams as a Strategic Advisor to support the achievement of ambitious transformation programmes.
Locally, my volunteering in Merseyside with began in 1997 and has involved supporting young people and volunteer teams across many communities. Through a range of roles, including significantly with The Scouts, I’ve led teams to deliver strategies to ensure more young people learn skills for life across a greater number of communities, with larger and stronger teams of volunteers, and through collaborative partnerships with charities, schools and businesses. Also at a local level, and for a significant period, I was a Governor and Chair of the Board of a large Academy. Today, locally, I support Merseyside Scouts as a Vice President and Trustee, and continue to support a number of other Merseyside-based charities.
Nationally, my volunteering began in 2004 and saw the start of my journey leading the development and implementation of national strategy and support, again significantly with The Scouts. Today, nationally, I support The Scouts as a Trustee and Chair of Strategy and Delivery, providing governance to UK–wide operations and the implementation of the organisation’s Skills for Life strategy.
- Strategist with proven UK and international experience of policy development, market analysis, strategy definition, strategy to action planning, execution, stakeholder engagement and relationship building.
- Experienced Strategic Advisor to Boards, Executive Teams and Delivery Teams within organisations ranging from SMEs to FTSE 500 corporations, across the public, private and third sectors.
- Experienced Executive and Delivery Leader, with a specialism in large-scale operations leadership and portfolio, programme and project delivery, including the turnaround of underperforming operations and programmes.
- Specialist in governance, developing strategic plans for organisations, and in building and holding to account senior teams.
- Specialist in digitally-underpinned transformation programmes.
- Deep and full lifecycle experience of complex solution delivery, from business case development and requirements analysis; to implementation, optimisation, and service delivery.
- Past elected industry representative on the techUK Health and Social Care Council.